Confirmed: Loeb to test with DPR at Jerez
September 28, 2009 4 Comments
Update: Loeb himself has confirmed on his website that he will be testing with DPR on October 8th. Thanks Francois for the information…. He also informs us that Loeb will pay €15.000 to DPR for the test – far from the reported €30.000 that Red Bull was going to pay.
The rumor of Sebastien’s Loeb GP2 test with DPR at Jerez seems to be gaining momentum. Though no “official” motorsports publication has made reference to the news, French radio station RMC has broadcast the news and written a piece on its website (thank you Diogo Oliveira and sauber11 for the information).
It is definitely good news for the sport to have one of the world’s best all-around drivers race in GP2.
Some details about the test:
- Test will be with the DPR team all 3 days
- Cost to Red Bull (paying for test) is €90.000
- Theoretically, to prepare Loeb for his F1 debut at Abu Dhabi with Toro Rosso
- Without any disrespect to André Herck or DPR, the selection of this team is rather surprising. Red Bull has had (and has) links to Arden through sponsorship and through Christian Horner, so you would think they would favor this team. If not Arden, many other teams come to mind first, especially based on results. But nevertheless, this shows that all teams have a chance and that surely Herck and his team have done a superb PR job getting Loeb to sit in their Dallara GP2.
- €30.000 per GP2 test day is rather steep. A typical GP2 tests costs a maximum of €25.000. So Red Bull is paying a €15.000 premium for the test. Why? I have no idea since it doesn’t need to pay that much.
Again, this is just a rumor, but let’s hope it is confirmed soon by Red Bull or Loeb himself.