GP2 drivers at Jerez F1 test
November 30, 2009 5 Comments
Not a wonderful sample of GP2 drivers at this week’s F1 young driver test.
In total, 2 drivers from GP2’s past (Soucek, Conway), 2 drivers from the 2009 season (Di Grassi, Hulkenberg) and 3 future GP2 drivers (Bianchi, Ericsson, Turvey).
Not entirely surprising due to :
1. The heavy presence of drivers from Red Bull: Bortolotti, Ricciardo, Hartley. As I have written in previous posts, the Austrian energy drink maker, led with an iron fist by Dr. Marko, has lately shunned GP2.
2.”Gift” drives for series winners:
- Rossi/Gutierrez (Formula BMW) with BMW Sauber
- Baguette (WSR) with Renault F1
- Zampieri/Zipoli/Sanchez (F3 Italia) with Ferrari
- Soucek (F2) with Williams
- Turvey (McLaren Autosport award) with McLaren Mercedes
3. Throw in a paid drive here and there (Ho Pin Tung!, JR Hildebrand?) and there you have a test day lineup.
The only “real” test here is for Hulkenberg, Bianchi, Ericsson, DiResta and DiGrassi.
All in all, though, can’t say I’m not disappointed to not see guys like Giedo van der Garde, Vitaly Petrov, Sergio Perez, Alvaro Parente, Pastor Maldonado or Davide Valsecchi driving in at least one of these 3 days. Half-assed solution to the lack of testing for F1 teams, though the FIA is not entirely to blame here.