Active week of GP2 driver announcements
January 27, 2011 4 Comments
GP2 teams are hard at work closing their driver lineups for both the imminent GP2 Asia Series as well as the European races.
So far today, the news are:
- Racing Engineering confirms Dani Clos and Nathaniel Berthon in GP2 Asia
- At the same time Racing Engineering confirms that the 2011 lineup for Europe will be the same as last year, with Dani Clos and Christian Vietoris
- Surprisingly, Johnny Cecotto has signed for Super Nova, when it was highly expected that he end up in Team Air Asia given that he drove the GP2/11 in the shakedown run and had been linked to the team due to a possible Team Lotus F1 test/reserve role
- WSR champ Mikhail Aleshin will stay with Carlin in GP2, adding even more level to next year’s championship
- Also, earlier this week DAMS announced the expected re-signing of Gravity driver Romain Grosjean along with GP3 grad Pal Varhaug (is a Gravity contract in the works)
With this, 19 slots have been filled and there are 7 to go. Only Ocean and Air Asia have yet to confirm at least one driver, with a seat remaining at Rapax, Trident and Carlin.
The key difference this year is that with the exception of Vietoris, all announced drivers will race in both Asia and Europe this season, with the arrival and exclusive use of the new car for both series serving as an important incentive for drivers to rack up track miles.